Thursday, May 3, 2007

Reflection #2 confronting challenges of participatory culture

Reflection #2

I appreciated the suggestion of not procrastinating on this homework assignment. After reading the text, my mind needed some time to absorb the mass amount of new information, comments and perspectives written. I feel the best way I can reflect is to share thoughts that arose within a few of the theories.

1. Collective Intelligence- “the ability to pool knowledge and compare notes with others towards a common goal.”

At a simple level I love having the opportunity to see what other PE teachers have done and expanding from that. I have found some great ideas for my classes that I have changed to match my school environment.

On a larger scale, I have reservations about what is happening with second worlds. I see that programs build on collective intelligence, but at what cost? I previewed a trailer to one of these sights and the long-term outcome concerns me. If collective intelligence it practiced and developed anonymously in front of a screen, will it transfer over to real life?

In the area of teamwork and collaboration, what variables are different between solving real-world social problems on line versus in direct contact? Are there key skills that will become lost? I first think of how direct contact requires assertiveness and confidence skills. If a person can be anonymous on line, will they have the courage to use the skills they developed in real life?

If students focus mainly on developing social skills on-line, what nonverbal and situational cues are missed? Will these skills become forgotten? I remember the term, book-smart and street-smart. Maybe we need to add cyber-smart. Kids may be able to be fantastic problem-solvers and team players on line, but in real life, incapable of social interactions.

On page 42, it was written that schools should not only ensure kids have wide foundational knowledge base, but should encourage kids to develop their personal expertise. When transferred to the on-line community, kids should learn skills on how to access general and valid information as well as learn how to contribute their knowledge. I am curious when and how this education can happen.

2. Judgment- “ the ability to evaluate the reliability and credibility of different information sources.

I think this skill is extremely important to learn. At the same time, I do not think schools are addressing this issue yet. Within health, we focus on TV and magazine advertising. We analyze techniques and provide questions for students to consider and evaluate. I did not realize how large of a media landscape technology brings forth. As web pages become easier to create, our media skills and navigation skills need to increase.

I had heard that young kids are unable to tell the difference between what is real and make believe and that TV commercials thrive on this. As I read about media presentation on the web, I am awakened to a new area that really needs to be addressed.

We are now in a time when we really need to be educated on understanding influences. No longer is our access limited to one town’s newspaper, but a whole world of perspectives and voices is ready to be viewed with a simple touch of a finger. At what age are kids able to clearer understand a topic that can have so many views?

3. Networking-
I love the networking. It also brings forth a lot of questions. I wonder how all of the communication rings work. For example, the radio stations where people can listen for free. How are all of these networks funded? Networking seems to make life easier and quicker. Is this a good thing? What is this “Web 2.0?” An explanation was on page 50, but I am still a little confused.

4. Negotiation-

This brings me back to the social skill question. If a person learns their social skills on line, how does it transfer to real life? If a voice on the computer is anonymous, people seem to interact openly. However, people are still brought up with prejudice. Even if people are communicating on-line openly, will it be the same face to face? I would hope the answer is yes, but there seems to be some visual and situational cues that I am not convinced are replicated via the Internet.


I feel I can go on forever with different thoughts, so I am stopping. I do have to say that access to computers is a major roadblock to our world. If the on-line world is exploding with all of these connections and opportunities, and only a percentage of our world knows how to navigate the system, how will the participation gap play out? I know that many communities are offering free wireless to everyone and low cost computers are being made for developing countries. Access is increasing, but will it catch up with those who are currently living in the on-line world? Is this bigger than the onset of the industrial age, but less known because it is ‘out there?’ What will become of our societal rankings—technology is not only materialistic but seems to be a culture within itself.

Hhmmm- With all of these thoughts, I do have to say, I do not like to write blogs. I prefer to have a verbal discourse with others. I feel very vulnerable and weird putting my thoughts out there and waiting for a possible reply. Mostly, because it is evidence of thought and can be taken differently than I have intended. With a verbal conversation, my views can change and/or mold as the conversation unfolds and I can look for those verbal cues that express how my thoughts are interpreted. Maybe a web-cam and instant messaging would be my ticket.

2 comments:

Linn Benton Community College Library said...

Web 2.0 was a term coined a couple of years back. It doesn't really refer to any technologies in particular, but more to the participatory nature of the new web technologies. For example, MySpace is Web 2.0 only due to the interactive nature; email is not considered 2.0 . It's a bit of hype, I think, although the participatory nature of the WWW will continue.

I think that your perspective of a classroom teacher, especially a PE teacher, gives you a bit of insight as to the issue of Negotiation. I think that sports and physical activity is one venue where negotiation takes place. Perhaps a problem is, however, that it takes place more with unstructured play, and much less so with formal sports.

Kathryn said...

Hi, Kathi,

I think that the new computer technologies have the potential to do great good and also the potential to do great harm. I see some of the participatory content through my sixteen year old son and I give thanks that he often (and not always) has the smarts to be entertained but not taken in by some of this stuff, which can truly be objectionable.

While I see that people can use the www to promote grass roots causes, I also see how powerful people can use it to control. And, yes, they have done that through newspapers and through broadcast news, so what is different. I guess it is just the multiple ways that can be set up on the www to reach people.

This is indeed a new generation - how new, I work with people in their late twenties who are not really digital natives and who, while they use the technologies, do so with real caution. However, they are teachers and I think that people who become teachers are people who like to have interaction, so are they indicative of their generation. I really can't say, but they give me hope that we will continue to like to have "real" conversations, face to face.